“Happiness can be cultivated” says Shawn Achor, author of Before Happiness. He calls it Happiness Hygiene and says it is as essential to living as brushing our teeth and eating right. Here are 5 Two Minute Happiness Drills which Achor’s research has proven to actually have the power to make us happier people. His work challenges us to do one or more of these drills for 21 days in order to experience the real difference for ourselves.
Shawn says these practical changes in our behavior are happiness building blocks. These practices allow us to see more meaning in our lives thus increasing our happiness. Which in turn creates an experience of deeper and more enduring joy… for ourselves and others. That’s right, Shawn says as we care for our own Happiness Hygiene there exists the real possibility it will spread to those around us.
So here are the 5 Two Minute Happiness Drills that may change the world! Or just make you smile more often. Either way – this is “good stuff making!”
1. SAY ALOUD three NEW gratitudes when you awake each morning.
2. MOVE your body in fun mindful cardio activity – OK this one wants about 10 – 15 minutes!
3. SIT in stillness or meditate – quietly watching your breath for 2 minutes does count!
4. SEND A THANK YOU note, email, or call to someone you know.
5. WRITE a detailed recollection of a happy moment from last 24 hours for just 2 minutes.
If you are like me — looking at implementing yet another regular routine can feel daunting. Well suck this one up & GET HAPPY DAMN IT! It is only two minutes… and we need you on our team!
Tag You’re It!
Leave a Reply